What a day. There were small upheavals and long meetings at work, and the afternoon plans were set aside for a last-minute playdate at our house. I baked a pumpkin pie for the school's Farmer's Market and for probably the first time in my life, did not burn the crust. It's after 10 and now a loaf of banana bread is baking - also for the market.
After the girls and I had dinner, I took them with me to give blood (mine). Finally my levels were high enough for me to donate. R read a book on the Blood Bank's big van, and S told the folks that she wanted to be a nurse when she grows up, and she watched the whole process with real interest and not the slightest bit of squeamishness. Afterwards, one of the phlebotomists gave her gloves and a small bit of bandage for her to practice being a nurse with her stuffed animals. She now has a makeshift clinic in her bedroom. When I tucked her into bed, she said, "Mommy, be very careful of the Tiger. He has Lobo Fever, and that's very dangerous to humans." I assured her I'd be extra careful.
It looks like there are some changes coming at work, and I just gave blood, and in 3 weeks I'm going to a poetry workshop. The last thing I need now is to come down with Lobo Fever - especially if this is a 5 year old nurse's casual way of referring to Lobo Disease.
Here's the scoop on Lobo Disease, from webmd.com. The medical name for the disease is Paracoccidioidomycosis. Say that three times fast.
"Paracoccidioidomycosis (PCM) is a chronic infectious tropical disease caused by the fungus Paracoccidioides brasiliensis. The initial infection usually occurs in the lungs, but may also spread to the skin, mucous membranes, and other parts of the body. Specialized cells that line the walls of blood and lymphatic vessels and dispose of cellular waste (reticuloendothelial system) may also be affected by Paracoccidioidomycosis. If left untreated, life-threatening complications can occur. Most cases of this disease occur in South and Central America."
Yep. Not on my list of "Diseases I'd Like To Have."
It is, admittedly, a pretty short list anyway.
But still.
No comments:
Post a Comment