Wednesday, January 12, 2005

And even that worked itself out pretty well

So in spite of any lingering concerns I might have had, the fearsome engineer was perfectly reasonable about yesterday's mistake, and the day at work went well. Busy, as usual, but fine. For which I am horribly grateful.

I did have to leave an hour early (again) to get R from school. Whatever low-grade bug she has, it doesn't come with any symptoms other than a headache and slight stomach ache and no energy. She was apparently depressed all day at school yesterday, too. But she napped this afternoon and rested all evening, and I hope to have all the girls in the house in bed by 8 tonight - thus the earlier than usual post.

Signed up S (aka Isadora Duncan) for ballet again - her request, even though she's not yet six and she said she'd start to dance again when she's six. I'm glad she's not waiting. She so obviously loves dance, and takes it so seriously when she does dance for us, it seems like a good idea to let her pursue it this way. This time, she'll be with the local studio that puts on the Nutcracker, so in theory, she could perform in it in a year and a half. (They must be 6 and must have danced for a year at the studio). We'll see how it goes. If it starts to kill her love to dance, we'll probably stop again.

But there's a fine line I've discussed with other parents before - when do you push, to teach your child discipline and that they can't just quit things in life, and give them the chance to get beyond resistance or plateaus into a place of greater competence and confidence - and when do you back off, simplify and let them let it go?


No comments: