The meeting at school went pretty well. We narrowed down our areas of focus from 100+ written statements of what would make our school outstanding to 6 things: finding a permanent "home" that would include a working farm that would inform the curriculum; funding issues; values that are clearly articulated internally and externally; top-notch teachers and staff that are well-educated, well-trained and happy; and having a community of parents, teachers and students working together with common goals. I'm not sure why I'm writing all this here. It probably couldn't matter less to everyone except the people at the school. But this blog seems to have become a way for me to process stuff, too. So maybe that explains it.
Anyway, at what other public school meeting would you start the session by singing, and close the session by standing in a circle, holding hands, singing. In a round. It wasn't Kumbaya, but it was close. And at what other school meeting would someone say in the middle of the day, "I want everyone in the room to take three deep breaths and feel their heart energy," and get away with it? And would someone else say, at the close of the session, "Everybody look out the window!" because there was a rainbow. And everybody did get up and walk over and look out the window and exclaim over the rainbow. And half of us thought it was an omen that all would be well with the school. Yeah. Scary, huh? I know. But its my kind of place.
And better yet, I didn't commit to anything beyond today's work.
And even better than that, I think I've beat this cold thing enough so that I can run in the morning and then go to the Box for BIC writing session.
Got to go now. R. has a friend staying overnight and I need to read another few pages of The Dark is Rising to them. It's my autographed copy from when I met Susan Cooper at a conference (Children's' Literature of New England) in 1992. Which reminds me of a coincidence - I just got my CLNE mailer for this year's conference, and I see that Neil Gaiman may be there, schedule permitting. I'd never heard of him until Kate sent him one of my poems, once. And now I hear about him all the time. What a world. Makes me want to hold hands with someone and sing in a round.
No comments:
Post a Comment