Friday, January 21, 2005

Undeferring the funny story

R's 4th grade teacher told me during our parent/teacher conference that on Tuesday (the day after the MLK holiday and the day after Lime's death), her whole class, which is normally very active anyway, was so hyper that it was like having a roomful of monkeys on speed. Well, actually, she just said it was like having a room full of hyperactive kids, but I don't think that paints the picture as well.

Anyway, the children were so out of control that toward the end of the day, the teacher stopped everything and everyone, and went to the chalkboard and wrote something like this:

"Dear Miss Jane,

Today during class, many people were rude, silly and disrespectful."

The children were each to get out a piece of paper and complete the letter. Lest you think she was totally off her rocker, they have been working on letter writing lately.

During the conference, she said she wanted to show me R's letter. I braced myself, but since she was already laughing about it, I wasn't too worried. Anyway, it went like this:

"Dear Miss Jane,

Today during class, many people were rude, silly and disrespectful.

I'm sorry if I was one of them, but you should know that I have been going though a lot lately, such as a recent pet death.

R--"

No comments: